Did you do this Christmas Week?

Did you do this Christmas Week?

What we did on Christmas Vacation

What we did on Christmas Vacation
The Family swimming

Sunday, November 27, 2011

November 27, 2011...1st Sunday in Advent

Today one of my "Bucket List" items was fulfilled.  When I was in  my early teens, I saw a movie that has iintrigued me all my life.  I have never seen it at a movie rental place, or ever listed in a television guide, or ever played on an öld"movie channel.  In my mind Charleton Heston and Susan Hayward were the main actors...perhaps because I really liked them, or maybe I have remembered correctly.  This movie has had a tremendous influence in my life.  The title was, "The President's Lady", and it was Hollywood's version of Andrew Jackson and Rachel Donelson's life. Whether it was the actors, the romance, my impressionable age, or a combination of all three, I have loved history ever since.  Even with me now on my Kindle I have books on the Tudors of England, another novel about Cleopatra,, and one about the heretic queen of Egypt.  Historical novels are my favorite genera.  Today, my precious husband made sure that in the pouring rain, he made it possible for us to visit The Hermitage.  As you know, it is the home Andrew Jackson built for his Rachel.  There are drawing rooms decorated in block printed painting wallpaper; furniture and carpeting of the period and the old-fashioned window coverings at that time...Venetian blinds!  I had a wonderful time going all over as much of the mansion as I could go and listening to the audio tour.  I had forgotten that Jackson was 6'1"tall and weighed 143 pounds!  No wonder he looks so tall in his portraits.  Rachel was around 5 feet no matter which way you looked at her.  Hummmm.

From what I've written above, it is obvious we did not (much to our disappointment) make it to church.  Hopefully we will do better next Sunday.  I wonder where we will be.

The rain continues to come down and it is a comfort to me.  Growing up in a house with a tin roof and listening to the rain has always been a sound I have loved.  So much of a comfort , in fact, that I have threatened to nail aluminum pie plates to window sills so I can hear it rain.  Dan does such a good job of insulation you can only hear the rain in a hurricane, and then only slightly.

The outlook for tomorrow is rain.  We do not plan on going far.  Memphis is our destination, if the weather permits.

Dan attempted to take pictures of the light show next door.  In the rain, they are sorta blurry.  Unfortunately we won't have much to show you when HE learns how to add them to this blogging site.

A thought that came to me...People stuff turkeys; turkeys stuff people, but more humanely.

Blessings,
The tres travelers

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may leave comments about this blog.